Loch Leven Lakes are popular hiking and backpacking destinations southwest of Donner Lake,
warm enough to enjoy swimming, and bring your fishing gear!
Elevation changes: Round trip, ascent 1218; descent: 1198, no section is too steep or scary.
- From I-80E take the Yuba Gap Exit.
- In .2 mi. turn right onto Lake Valley Road. It turns slightly left and becomes Crystal Lake Road.
- In .2 miles make a slight right toward Lake Valley Road. Continue for 1 mile.
- Make a slight left onto Forest Route 19 and drive for 3 miles.
- Continue onto Power Line for .8 miles.
- Continue onto Forest Route 19 for .2 miles.
- Turn left and drive for 1 mile.
Much of the drive is on dirt roads. Conditions are fairly good right now with a few tire ruts, but fully negotiable by car.
|From the trail, you can look down into the Salmon Lake bowl. Since fewer people |
camp here, it is an excellent choice for a more secluded
camping experience. It can also be a resting place for your hiking break.
of people hiking and swimming around the lake. Everyone was quiet by nightfall.
We found plenty of wildflowers along the way, too. Brightly colored birds hung around while we fished. Watch for rattlesnakes, but we didn't see any.
***Use bear bags or canisters for your safety and for securing your food supply. Also, rodents got into some of our supplies while we were out exploring, so don't leave your camp unsecured.
Up to 7.5
Easy to Strenuous
Moderate to Strenuous
Hikes and Articles By Titles
Trails by Locations